VFD firefighters “Give Burns the Boot” | Community Spirit
VALDOSTA, GA - News release from city of Valdosta
The Valdosta Fire Department will kick off their annual “Give Burns the Boot” drive on Thursday, May 10, joining more than 100 other fire departments throughout the state of Georgia in raising money to benefit the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation.
This event, which relies on donations from citizens, will run through Saturday, May 12.
Valdosta Firefighters will be at the following Valdosta sites from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and from 2 to 6 p.m. on Saturday:
- Wal-Mart Supercenter at 340 Norman Drive and 3274 Perimeter Road
- Harvey’s Supermarket at 2111 Bemis Road and 4036 Bemis Road
- Winn Dixie at 1105 Madison Highway and 3200 North Ashley Street
The money raised by the VFD firefighters will help support Camp Oo-U-La, Georgia’s only camp held exclusively for burn-injured children.
The camp, paid for entirely by the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation, allows burn victims to have fun with other children who have experienced the same trauma.
By supporting the boot drive, the public will also be supporting their local fire department and community.
Money raised serves communities across the state where there are needs, and a portion of it will remain in Valdosta for local education and prevention efforts.
Firefighters are also selling Boston Butt tickets for $25 at all Valdosta fire stations through event day. All preorders may be picked up on Friday, May 25, from noon to 8 p.m., at Fire Station #1, at 106 S. Oak Street.
All proceeds will be donated to the Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation.
The Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation is a non-profit organization with a threefold mission: to educate the public in burn awareness and prevention, to support medical facilities in the care of burns in Georgia, and to assist burn survivors in their recovery.
For more information about the “Give Burns the Boot” drive, the Boston Butt sales, or local fire safety education programs, contact the Valdosta Fire Department at (229) 333-1835.